Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Me A Basketball Coach?

I didn’t see this coming. The men’s basketball coach at Point University asked me to help with the basketball team this year. For those who know me, you can stop laughing now. If you don’t know me, I have no basketball ability. It is good to know that God still has a sense of humor. 

Please understand that I won’t be teaching them the fundamentals of dribbling because in my world that involves the feet (soccer - the real football). I am going to be a character coach for his team. You might look at it like being a chaplain for the basketball team. I was surprised to be asked and even more surprised to find an organization, Nations of Coaches, who was dedicated to helping basketball coaches and character coaches train and disciple basketball players. 

I went to the Nations of Coaches marriage retreat and got another surprise. Greg Smalley was the speaker; and he did an awesome job, but that did not surprise me. In talking with one of the coaches, I was surprised when he talked about the original purpose of basketball. Here it is - Dr. James Naismith, the inventor of basketball, held an inspiring vision for the game to change lives and “win men for the Master through the gym.”

To say that I am out of my league is an understatement. I love college students, sports, and Jesus. I believe God can work with that. We have 19 incredible young men. There is the potential to win a lot of games with the talent we have. At the same time, there is even a greater potential to win people for Christ and change the world through these men. 

You can help me by praying for this team, the coaches, and my work as the character coach. When it is all said and done, I believe that the one who has called me to this task is faithful and he will do it (1 Thessalonians 5:24). You can be a part of this great work through your prayers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment